Monday 10 September 2012

Afghan Trouser Aid Gathers Momentum!


Afghan Trouser Aid, the brass band's answer to the problems faced by trouser-wearing people in that country, is gathering pace.

The charity is the brainchild of 19 year old Emily Samsung, who plays with the Bostock Rawlplugs Band. Emily told the Bandstand, "When I was young I had a hamster what died. I was so overcome I grew into a very sensitive and caring young woman. Me and my mum was watching a documentary on Afghanistan and couldn't help but notice that their trousers were so dirty. When I looked on the internet I saw it was because we had bombed all their homes, hospitals, bingo clubs and disabled drop in centres!"

"Enough was enough! I got in touch with my Uni friends and they were all up for doing something. We have arranged a series of brass band concerts to raise money to buy clean trousers to fly out to Afghanistan".

The first concert in the series is on Saturday (obviously!, these are students, they won't turn out on a Sunday!) the 6th October at the Afghani Workers Club in Pickering at 7.30pm.

Emily said, "We want as many people there as possible. You can find us on Twitbook if you use the proper hash tag. If you have an old pair of trousers you can bring to donate that would be, like, so cool!"

Despite several attempts at dialling random phone numbers, we have been unable to be connected to anyone in Afghanistan to see if clean trousers is really what they need. Probably because all the phone lines are down, what with all the bombing and wars and stuff.

Anyway, do what you can.